The truth is though, that you can create your own waves and curls that has a similar look in just a short time if you have the right tools and products. Curls and waves will always be stylish!
If you want a curly glamorous style without the fuss, here are a few ideas on how to create your own red carpet look.
Before curling your hair, be sure to wash it at least one day before you plan to curl it. For the longest lasting curls, your hair should not be freshly washed.Hair that's too clean won't hold your curls as long. For best results, wash your hair before you want to style it, then wait a day before styling it. Remember, for a lasting style, start with damp or slightly damp hair and also slightly dirty hair.
What You Need:
Straightening balm (if you have thick, curly, or course hair)
1/2" - 1" barrel curling iron (or more) depending on how tight/loose you want your curls
Hair ties or clips
Saltwater spray or fine mist
Create Wavy Hair Like Jessica Simpson
1. Turn your head upside down and spray your roots with volumizing or texturizing spray. Massage it into the roots of your hair but not your scalp. Paul Mitchell Volumizing Spray is a great product but Aveda Retexturizing Gel works fine and costs les. Just shop around or use the brands you know and trust. You can also use a root lifter if you only want to lift your roots. (Sounds sensible!) If your hair is naturally course or curly, work a straightening creme or gel through your hair. Then apply a styling gel to the mid shaft and ends of your hair.
2. Gently comb out your hair with a wide toothed comb. This evenly distributes the product(s) throughout your hair. Blow dry your hair straight, starting at the ends and working up to your roots. You can opt to dry your roots first if you want extra volume. Your hair must be completely dry for this look to work. As a last step in blow drying, give your roots a cool air shot to add shine and more volume and locks in the gel.
3. Separate your hair into three or four bottom and top sections, (or more!), securing with hair clips or hair ties. It's easiest to curl one section at a time.
4. To curl hair, start with one bottom section and take a 1" portion of hair, spritz it with styling spray or hairspray, especially on the ends. Comb through. Be sure to hold the iron vertically, not horizontally for this style!
Wrap the 1" section of hair around the barrel of the curling iron. Wrapping hair is different from the traditional curling method. Don't 'clip' your hair into the barrel. Instead, wrap it around the barrel. Wrapping allows you to curl all the way to the roots. When you're wrapping, make sure to leave ends loose to avoid crimp marks.
Release the curl after about 5-10 seconds or hold longer if you want a tighter curl. How long you hold the curl also depends on how high you have the temperature of the iron set. The higher the heat, the less time you should need to keep the iron in your hair. When you take the iron out of your hair, you should have a spiral or corkscrew curl. If it didn't work, try, try again!
6. Roll up the curl and bobby pin it close to the scalp.
7. Alternate the direction of the curls as you work your way through each section. The style you create is in the direction you wind hair around the barrel of the curling iron. Start by placing hair on top of the barrel and wrapping it around the barrel for one curl, then switch directions by putting the barrel on top of the hair before winding it around the next curl. Alternating directions makes curls look more natural. Some curls can remain tight, but strive for some loose curls too.
8. Once you've completed curling all of your hair and your pinned curls have cooled completely, release them. You should have lots of wavy hair!
9. Gently loosen waves with a diffused shot of cool air from your blow dryer on the low setting. Or you can separate curls with your fingertips. Just make sure not to brush them out.
10. To add shine, spritz a hair serum like Biosilk Therapy. You can do without hair serum and spritz with a saltwater spray instead if you like. Beach BlondeOcean Waves Sea spray or Tousled Tresses Fine Mist Wax are also good products to use!
You should now have wavy hair that looks great! You don't have to be a movie star to have wavy hair with glamorous style! Once you've achieved this look a few times, it'll get easier and less time consuming to do it!